I am currently holding an essay writing contest for our young men and women. The contest holds a prize pool worth
Hello Family and Friends!
The goal is to bring awareness and to gain insight on how our young people view “Black Lives Matter” and to inspire lives across the globe. There are an incredible amount of talented young men and women out there, and I want to hear from them. I would like to invite all to take part in the contest. Apart from the cash prize, contestants will have the opportunity to have all or part of their work published in one of my future books. In addition, this will provide our young people with an opportunity to participate in a constructive activity that will allow them to showcase their talents.
I invite interested candidates to write an essay on what BLACK LIVES MATTER mean to them in about 500-1000 words. To get started, please review contest rules. I look forward to reading the work of each candiate.
PLEASE READ THESE RULES CAREFULLY PRIOR TO PARTICIPATION OR ENTRY. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO REGISTER, ENTER, OR WIN.
The Black Lives Matter Essay Contest - “What does black lives matter mean to you” (“The Challenge”) is created to bring awareness to the issues from the perspective of children and adolescents of all races and ages. In an ever changing environment, our children, our future, are often forgot about.
Giving a voice to the issue from the perspective of children and adolescents will assist ongoing discussions of the reality that some may live, experience, or will be effected by. By participating in this challenge, children, parents and guardians agree to the Challenge Terms listed below:
Eligibility: The Challenge is open only to individuals who: (a) are 10 to 18 years of age; (b) have their parents’/legal guardians’ permission and written consent attached to the submitted essay to participate in The Challenge; and (c) open to all races/ethnicities and nationalities.
By submitting an Entry to The Challenge you consent to have your essay reviewed for contest winning determination and the possibility to have your essay published in an upcoming book by Dr. Kennette Thigpen, LCSW with minimal identifying information (first name, age, and state).
Registration Period: The registration period for The Challenge begins at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time (“EST”) on September 1, 2017 and ends at 11:59 p.m. EST on October 15, 2017.
3. How to Register: To enter the contest go to the link located on this page to create and submit a consent form, and completed essay.
4. How to Enter: Follow the instructions on the Consent Form, which is available on this page. All entries (as defined below) must be in the English language and must be completed and received via the Site by no later than 11:59 p.m. EST on October 15, 2017 to be eligible. Each Entry must include the following :
Identifying information to include: member’s first name, last initial, month and year of birth, and email (if any contestants are under 13 years old, the email of a parent or guardian must be provided);
Essay on Black Lives Matter: (500-1000 characters);
5. Selection and Announcement: Entries will be based on the following criteria (“Finalists”) based on the following criteria (the “Criteria”):
1. Creativity 50%: Does the essay express ideas not commonly found in other essays? Does the essay show a lot of thought?
2. Language Use and Style 20%: Does the essay have words that are carefully chosen to convey meaning with varied and natural sentence structure?
3. Length of Essay 10%: Does the essay adhere to the essay format guidelines?
4. Adherence to the Topic 10%: Does the essay address the topic and stay on topic?
5. “Wow!” Factor 10%: Does the essay WOW the reader for one reason or another?
6. Cash Prizes For First, Second, And Third Place Winners In Each Age Division: Based on reviews and selection criteria described above, there will be a First Place, Second Place, and Third Place winner in each of the following age divisions:
1. Division 1: Ages 10 to 12
2. Division 2: Ages 13 to 15
3. Division 3: Ages 16 to 18
First Place: $500.00
Second Place: $250.00
Third Place: $100.00
7. Committee Voting:
Dr. Joyce Frey
Felicia Hamilton, M.A. English
Dr. Kennette Thigpen, LCSW
8. All Decisions Final: All decisions are final and binding in all respects.
9. Winner Notification and Verification: Winners will be notified on November 4, 2017 by using the email address provided on the Entry Form. Winners will also have their essays posted to the Sponsors website or other social media outlets.
Release of Claims: By registering and/or submitting an entry, each participant releases the Sponsor, the Sponsor Parties, and judges against the full amount of all claims, liabilities, actions, suits, proceedings, assessments, judgments, decrees, losses, fees, damages, settlement funds, and associated costs and expenses including attorney’s fees arising from or in connection with participation in The Challenge. Any use of the entry and/or the exercise by Sponsor of any rights granted to it herein, including without limitation claims based on rights of privacy, rights of publicity, false light, defamation, copyright, patent and/or trademark infringement relating to the team’s entry and claims for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from the team member’s participation in the Challenge or acceptance or use of any prize.